Holidays & Sabbaticals to the Caribbean – In a Nutshell
A paradise for more than just its azure waters, venture to the lesser-known Caribbean islands as well as the Caribbean coastline off Central and South America.
Dominica is defined by its raw, natural beauty. Volcanoes emerge from dense rainforest, which hides hot-springs and a multitude of hiking trails. The Caribbean’s ‘Nature Island’ encourages visitors to explore and get a little lost, before returning to the coast to bathe in the sunshine and hang out with some of the most welcoming people, sharing food to a soundtrack of local rhythms.
Grenada embodies what a Caribbean Island should be. Long sandy beaches are backed by lush palm trees and the island’s interior is as green as they come, with forested mountains hiding waterfalls and wildlife rich national parks. Extensive coral reefs sit just off-shore and you can easily access impressive snorkel and dive sites, allowing for adventures both on land and in the water.
The chain of tiny idyllic islands of St Vincent & The Grenadines are a playground for yachters, divers and paradise-seekers. Exploring these remote islands, it’s easy to find a slice of white-sand paradise all for yourself or a laidback beach bar, where soft rhythms mix with the sound of lapping waves.
How to Get to the Caribbean
Fly directly from London and the US (4-11 hours).
From the main islands you can take hopper flights to the lesser-known islands.
When & Weather – Caribbean
The climate here is tropical, which means temperatures are similar year-round.
Peak Season is December to May with the driest months from February to April. The rains fall year-round but are typically heavier from July to November with September to November being the key hurricane season.
Temperatures typically range from 28C (82F) to 32 (89F).
Who will the Caribbean Appeal To?
The calming island life and warm seas offers a range of varied experiences as well as being a destination for r&r. In particular, it’s suited to:
- Water-sport enthusiasts
The Caribbean excels in luxurious beach hideaways, villas as well as ecolodges and exclusive wellness retreats.
Off The Beaten Path
- Hiking to aptly named Boiling Lake, part of the Waitukubuli National Trail, Dominica’s first long-distance hiking trail which connects its most beautiful national parks.
- Diving at Champagne Reef – swim alongside this unique underwater geothermal spring that vents warm bubbles. And the marine life here is also spectacular: look out for parrot fish, seahorses and sea turtles.
- Cahuita National Park on the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica is one of the world’s last living reefs, a haven for snorkelling and diving. Nearby sway to the infectious reggae beat in the hip little town of laidback Puerto Viejo.
- Dominica is the only country in the world where the sperm whale resides all year long – boat trips can bring you up close to these impressive creatures.
- Almost 200 species of bird can be found in the Caribbean, as well as amazing creatures like bats, iguanas and boa constrictors.
- Leatherback turtles nest on the Caribbean Coast from February to April; green turtles during August and September. Take a midnight tour to watch the turtles hatch by moonlight then find their way down the beach.
Caribbean Experiences you shouldn’t miss:
- Whale watching off the coast from Roseau, Dominica.
- Sampling local rums.
- Hiking through the rainforest covered interior and stopping for a dip in cooling natural pools.
- Sail through the Grenadines on a traditional Caribbean sailing vessel called a Sloop.
- An exhilarating canyoning experience through Dominica’s gorges.
Caiman House in the central savannah of Guyana supports local community and conservation projects. See: Caiman House for more information.
Our experienced team will guide you through a number of ideas based on how you would like to experience the Caribbean.
Consider visiting the islands in combination with Belize or Costa Rica in Central America. Or with French Guiana, Suriname and Guyana in South America for a fascinating land and sea adventure.
Browse our gallery for inspiration and read the sample itinerary below to whet your appetite.
No matter how long you wish to travel, we’ll guide you through the planning process to ensure a trip is carefully pieced together to suit your interests, pace of travel and budget.
Contact us to start planning a holiday or sabbatical to the Caribbean.